Below is a recipe from North Star Orchards for a wonderful apple cake. I have had most success making it in loaf pans as it sometimes sticks and the top comes off in a bundt pan. Plus making it in the 2 loaf pans allows you to not feel guilty when you eat a piece for breakfast...it looks like a quick bread that way. It is truly delicious...make sure to make the glaze as well, it gives an added umph.
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar (or TJ’s)
1 1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
1 t vanilla
3 cup peeled & chopped apples
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) or raisins/cranberries or Trader Joes dried mixed berries (or 1/2 cup of nuts and 1/2 cup dried fruit)
3 cup flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t mace or ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 T bourbon or cider.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a tube pan or 2 loaf pans
3. Combine sugars, oil eggs, and vanilla; mix thoroughly.
4. Sift or whisk together dry ingredients then add to the egg-sugar mixture. Mix until just combined.
5. Fold in nuts and apples. Batter will be very lumpy.
6. Put batter in pan(s).
7. Bake in tube pan for 60-80 minutes or in loaf pans for 45-60 minutes.
8. Cake is done when inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then release to a serving plate.
In medium saucepan, combine ingredients. Over medium heat, stir continually until butter melts and mixture is combined. Heat to a boil , stirring occasionally & boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add bourbon or cider. Spoon warm glaze over warm cake.