I've always gotten rave reviews for this recipe. I recommend cooking it in two loaf pans as it has sometimes stuck to the bottom when I've baked it in a tube or bundt pan. I've made the glaze with both the cider as well as the bourbon and both are good. The bourbon does give it a bit of a kick!
"Shirley’s" Apple Cake
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3 c. peeled and chopped Gold Rush apples
- 1 c. chopped nuts or raisins
- 3 c. flour
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Ground cloves
- ½ tsp. Mace or nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a tube pan or two loaf pans
- Combine sugars, oil, eggs and vanilla; mix thoroughly.
- Sift together dry ingredients, then add to the egg- sugar mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in nuts/raisins and apples. (Batter will be very thick)
- Put batter in pan(s).
- Bake in tube pan for 60 to 80 minutes. Bake loaf pans for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cake is done when inserted skewer or toothpick emerges clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then release to a serving plate or glaze plate*
Optional Glaze: I highly recommend using the glaze!
Note: This glaze is quite sweet and sets to a solid sugar coating. If you prefer more of a coffee cake, you may be happier to omit the glaze.
- ½ c. margarine or butter
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. milk
- 2 Tbsp. Bourbon or cider (optional)
- In medium saucepan, combine ingredients.
- Over medium temperature, stir continually until butter melts and mixture is combined.
- Heat to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add bourbon or cider.
- Spoon warm mixture over warm cake.
*For a more ‘polished’ appearance, glaze the cake on a paper plate or aluminum foil. Then, once cooled, carefully remove the cake to the serving plate.